Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Love from 35,000ft

It has never occurred to me that I've never written about our love story,
until June from SMB suggested doing a love story linky.....

It was on 26th August 2002....
After coming back from a refreshing 1 week annual leave,
I was put on a 10 days flight;
Singpore-Zurich-Manchester-Bombay-Singapore.

It was a team flight
and as usual the inflight supervisor, Gerard
gave choices of work position
from the most senior and to the most junior.
(They called this SHIP; Senior Has It's Priorities....)
And being the most junior in the team.
I am often left with no choices for work position!
I often joked about knowing where I would be working
even before reporting!
Well, I ended up with the most undesirable work position.
B2, galley stewardess for economy class forward galley.
Yup, the one that handles your food
and the one that you shouldn't be messing around with.....
*big fat grin*
But, I wasn't too bothered about it
since I do that position all the time
I was pretty accustomed to all the grease work that needed to be done.

Upon reaching the aircraft,
for the junior crews you sort of have to report your status.

So I casually reported to my leading steward,
"Hi Kitson,
This is my first few times as galley stewardess.
Please guide me along."
I was astonished with his reply,
"Oh, your first few times then you do everything by yourself."
I wasn't expecting this reply....
I was still waiting for the standard sweet talk reply,
"oh darling, don't worry about it.... I'll help you!"
But, that didn't come through at all.
He proceeded to continue on with his work leaving me to independently do mine!
My thoughts, hmm, he must be GAY or a No Nonsense sort of Guy!

And since my Inflight Supervior is a boring talker,
(no kidding, he talks in monotone!)
Kitson asked, "Is this your team flight?"
I responded, "YES!!"
He replied, "It is going to be a boring 10 days!"
I stood stunt at his reply yet again!

And throughout the flight,
Kitson came through as a very strict and stern supervisor
that will tolerate no nonsense!
Everyone in the galley was kept on our toes....
even the most senior stewardess was pretty stressed out too....

Upon reaching our destination in Zurich,
Kitson asked me out....
Nothing of the romantic sort....
He asked me out for grocery shopping!
For the first time, someone actually cited conditions before taking me on a "date"....
He asked, "Can you be ready in 15 mins?"
I sheepishly answered, "yes!"
(This is the shortest time I had 
to get ready to head out after check in.
The norm is usually an hour later after check in....)
Little did I know,
he was actually ticking off 
the potential girlfriend-to-be 
on his subconscious checklist.

After grocery shopping I was invited to Kitson's room for a meal.
I gladly obliged, since I was hungry.
I marveled when he took out a portable cook pot,
whipping out the best tasting pasta ever!
That has got to be the "warmest" meal I had
after all these months of flying I thought!

He opened his cargo bag,
and I swear it looked like a little mini mart in there....
He asked, "Longan tea or Eight Treasure Tea?"
Regardless of my choice of drinks,
I was already not thinking straight.....

To top it all off,
dessert was even served!
Chilled can Longans.

I remembered thinking to myself if I married this guy
I would never have to go hungry waiting for the pizza delivery guy!!!

And I did!

10 years and 3 kids later....
I am glad I married this gay guy!

6 comments:

Madeline Heng said...

Should have played it harder to get heh heh. So sweet =)

Trading Journal said...

last sentense! uhhum..
Haha, thanks for sharing Irene
Kitson is my role model !

Unknown said...

hahaha! Enjoyed reading your story. What an interesting twist of event! :)

B@bYh|r0Sh| said...

Madeline Heng: Play harder to get I might have to end up still depending on the pizza delivery boy woh....

Jason: *grin* tell that to him the next time you see him....

Adeline: I am glad I did went on that "date"

June said...

Wow, interesting "conditions" he had, and I'm glad you made it in 15 minutes for him to be able to tick that off! Hehe, very sweet love story indeed...a love made in Zurich. Thanks for sharing and for linking up to Love Stories! :)

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. i remember this love story!! very very sweet... & 10 years of marriage is no easy feat.. well done!! xoxo